OUR WORK CENTRES AROUND OUR CORE VALUE THAT ANYONE WHO WANTS TO DO SOMETHING CAN DO IT. NO MATTER THEIR BACKGROUND OR WHETHER THEY IDENTIFY AS DISABLED. EXIM BELIEVE’S EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO FLOURISH AND POSITIVELY MAKE SENSE OF THEMSELVES AND BELONG TO THEIR COMMUNITIES IN A SAFE AND NON JUDGEMENT ENVIRONMENT.
We aim to put inclusion at the heart of community dance. We do this through our own work and through working in cross-sector partnership with others at local, regional and national level.
Our own work focuses on tackling the barriers that the following groups face from taking part regularly in dance activities;
- Disabled people and their families/carers
- Girls and young women
- People from lower socio-economic groups
- People from minority ethnic communities
- People at risk of educational exclusion
- Reduced anti-social behaviour & crime
We create local opportunities for people and the communities. Our services focus on the following areas, acknowledging that these may evolve through partnerships, referral programme developments and opportunism. We achieve this by supporting people to make long lasting positive changes that enables them to think and behave positively.
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Improved mental and physical health
- Improved motivation and aspirations
- Increased participation and social exclusion
- Improved relationships with friends, families and professionals.
- Improved engagement within education
- Progression into further education, training opportunities and employment
HOW WE DO IT
Dancing as well as the obvious health benefits to be gained from it, we believe it offers a broad appeal and important values to both young people and adults: discipline, respect, self awareness/control, identity and a feeling of belonging and pride. We provide quality life lessons from the dance programmes and in the relationships built between service-users and practitioners. Our approach sees dance as a tool in the inclusion and development of people and communities. Exim Dance champions people in and out of our services.