The project is worked in partnership with University of Plymouth, Next Steps South West, Real Ideas Organisation and Devon Community Outreach Network.
Working with young people aged 14 -19 years over 1-3 years will have a huge impact of them and their futures. In our experience of working with and developing young people it is this amount of investment of time that is needed to make a real impact.
We will lead weekly 1.5-hour sessions during term time facilitating dance to the group working towards performances and training qualifications in dance leadership accredited courses.
Exim have developed a responsive way of working with young people to facilitate dance that offers the young people the space and time to develop their creative voice. As well as leading technique we will work creatively and choreographically. As the core lead practitioners are all graduates of the University of Plymouth and the assistant practitioners will be current students/ recent graduates we have lived experience of the course and this is embedded in our practice.
In addition to the weekly classes the following wrap around activity will be offered:
- The group will be invited to watch student dance performances
- The group will be invited to watch suitable professional dance programmed at The House
- The group will watch a performance at TRP and at The Barbican
- We will facilitate discussions before and after each performance to build confidence and expand knowledge of contemporary dance
- The group will perform in the University twice per year
- The group will be given a tour of the University and a detailed tour of the department
- Both Arts Awards and Dance Leadership qualifications can be offered to suitable students
- Students will be supported and encouraged to attend open days and can be supported making applications and writing personal statements
To find out more information about joining Making Waves Project please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07864 168663.